THE VARIATION OF RETAIL PASS-THROUGH WITH STORE-BRAND ENTRY AND ITS DETERMINANTS â€“ EVIDENCE FROM SCANNER DATA
Issues related to retail pass-through receives much attention of both academics and business practitioners. Both analytical and empirical works have been done to characterize and documents the retail pass-through rates. However, little attention has been paid to the change of retail pass-through when a retailer introduces a store brand. Using evidence from scanner data, we investigate empirically the effects of store brand entry on retail passâ€through. We show that the entry of store brand is generally accompanied by reductions in retail passâ€through and that there are substantial variations in the reductions. We then examine the determinants of the magnitude of fall in pass-through, and we find evidence that the variations in pass-through changes are related to brand-specific and manufacturer-specific characteristics. In particular, retail pass-through reduces by a smaller magnitude for brands offering larger product varieties, belonging to a dominant manufacturer, having a greater margin against the retailer, and positioning at the higher-tier of market.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Ailawadi, K. and Harlam, B. (2009) â€œRetailer Promotion Pass-Through: A Measure, Its Magnitude, and Its Determinantsâ€. Marketing Science 28, 4, 782-794.
3. Armstrong, KM. (1991) â€œRetail Response to Trade Promotion: An Incremental Analysis of Forward Buying and Retailer Promotion.â€ Unpublished doctoral dissertation, School of management, University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX.
4. Berry ST. (1994) â€œEstimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation.â€ RAND Journal of Economics 25: 242â€“262.
5. Berry, S. T., J. Levinshon, and A. Pakes. (1995) â€œAutomobile Prices in Market Equilibrium.â€ Econometrica, 60, 4, 841-890.
6. Besanko, D., J-P Dube, and S.Gupta. (2003) â€œCompetitive Price Discrimination Strategies in a Vertical Channel.â€ Management Science, 49, 9, 1121-1138.
7. Besanko, D., J-P Dube, S. Gupta. (2005) â€œOwn-Brand and Cross-Brand Retail Pass-Through.â€ Marketing Science, 24, 1, 123-137.
8. Besanko, D., S. Gupta, D. Jain. (1998) â€œLogit Demand Estimation Under Competitive Pricing Behavior: An Equilibrium Framework.â€ Management Science. 44,11, 1533â€“1547.
9. Bonfrer, A. and Chintagunta, P. (2004) â€œStore Brands: Who Buys Them and What Happens to Retail Price When They Are Introduced?â€ Review of Industrial Organization, 24, 2, 195-218.
10. Bulow, J., and P. Pfleiderer. (1983) â€œA Note on the Effect of Cost Changes on Prices.â€ Journal of Political Economy, 91, 1, 182-185.
11. Busse, H., Silva-Risso, J. and Zettelmeyer, F. (2006) â€œ$1,000 Cash Back: the Pass-Through of Auto Manufacturer Promotions.â€ American Economic Review, 96, 4, 1253-1270.
12. Chevalier, J. , Kashyap, A, and Rossi, P. (2003) â€œWhy Donâ€™t Prices Rise During Periods of Peak Demand: Evidence from Scanner Data.â€ American Economic Review, 93, 1, 15-37.
13. Chevalier, M. and Curhan, R. (1976) â€œRetail Promotions as a Function of Trade Promotions: a Descriptive Analysis.â€ Sloan Management Review, 18, 3, 19-32.
14. Chintagunta, P. (2002) â€œInvestigating Category Pricing Behavior at a Retail Chain.â€ Journal of Marketing Research 39, 141-154.
15. Chintagunta, P., Bonfrer A., I. Song. (2002) â€œRetailer Demand and Pricing with Store-Brand Introduction.â€ Management Science, 48, 10, 1242-1267
16. Connor, John M., Everett B. Peterson. (1992) â€œMarket Structure Determinants of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences of Manufactured Food Products.â€ Journal of Industrial Economics, 40, 157â€“171
17. Curhan, R. and Kopp, R. (1987) â€œObtaining Retailer Support for Trade Deals.â€ Journal of Advertising Research, Dec-Jan, 51-60
18. Dreze, X., and D. Bell (2003) â€œCreating Win-Win Trade Promotions: Theory and Empirical Analysis of Scan-Back Trade Deals.â€ Marketing Science 22, 1, 16-39
19. Gabrielsen, T. and Sorgard, L. (2007) â€œPrivate Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy.â€ European Economic Review, 51, 403-424
20. Geylani, T., Jerath, K. and Zhang, J. (2009) â€œThe Impact of "One-Stop Shopping" on Competitive Store Brand Strategy.â€ Working paper
21. Lal, R., and Narasimhan C., (1996), â€œThe Inverse Relationship Between Manufacturer and Retailer Margins: a Theory.â€ Marketing Science, 15, 2, 132-151
22. McAlister, L. (2007) â€œCross-Brand Pass-Through: Fact or Artifact?â€ Marketing Science, 16, 3, 185-207
23. Meza, S. and Sudhir, K. (2006) â€œPass-Through Timing.â€ Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 4, 4, 351
24. Moorthy, S. (2005) â€œA General Theory of Pass-Through in Channels with Category Management and Retail Competition.â€ Marketing Science, 24, 1, 110â€“122.
25. Morton, S. and Zettelmeyer, F. (2004) â€œThe Strategic Positioning of Store Brands in Retailer-Manufacturer Negotiationsâ€. Review of Industrial Organization, 24, 2, 161-194
26. Nevo, A. (2001) â€œMeasuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry.â€ Econometrica, 69, 2, 307-342.
27. Nevo, A. and Wolfram, C (2002) â€œWhy Do Manufacturers Issue Coupons? An Empirical Analysis of Breakfast Cereals.â€ RAND Journal of Economics, 33, 2, 319-339
28. Nijs, V., Misra, K., Anderson, E., Hansen, K. and Krishnamurthi, L. (2010) â€œChannel Pass-through of Trade Promotionsâ€. Marketing Science, 29, 2, 250-267
29. Pauwels K. and Srinivasan S. (2004) â€œWho Benefits from Store Brand Entry?â€ Marketing Science, 23, 3, 364-390
30. Pauwels, K. (2007) â€œHow Retailer and Competitor Decisions Drive the Long-Term Effectiveness of Manufacturer Promotions for Fast Moving Consumer Goods.â€ Journal of Retailing, 83, 3, 297-308
31. Soberman, D. and Parker, P. (2006) â€œThe Economics of Quality-Equivalent Store Brands.â€ International Journal of Research in Marketing, 23, 2, 125-139
32. Sudhir, K. (2001) â€œStructural Analysis of Manufacturer Pricing in the Presence of a Strategic Retailer.â€ Marketing Science, 20, 3, 244â€“264
33. Tyagi, R. (1999) â€œA Characterization of Retailer Response to Manufacturer Trade Deals.â€ Journal of Marketing Research, 36, 510-516
34. Walters, R. (1989) â€œAn Empirical Investigation into Retailer Response to Manufacturer Trade Promotions. â€œ Journal of Retailing, 65, 3, 46-62